Recognition from professional organizations speaks to the strength of the Urban Technology Project and points to its future potential.
- Received the Daily Point of Light Award in 1999;
- Designated by the Corporation for National and Community Service as a national service learning model in 2001;
- Named best practices model in 2004 and 2009;
- Recognized by the School District of Philadelphia as an Information Technology Best Practices Model AY 2005-2006;
- Featured in Apple Corporation’s Profiles in Success website
The Computer Support Specialists (CSS) program is also a 3-year Registered I.T. Apprenticeship with the PA Department of Labor and Industry–the only one of its kind in the state. As a result, the CSS program was recently recognized by the PA Department of Labor as an “Apprenticeship Innovation Model” and was featured at the 2007 National Workforce Innovation Conference.
Edison Freire, co-founder of the Urban Technology Project, received the National Youth Leadership Council’s Alec Dickson Servant Leader Award in March 2007.
UTP received the Need in Deed Community Partner Award in 2011.